How can Crest Counselling help?
Anxiety is part of our lives, and from time to time we all experience it. However, it can become a challenge when it develops into a regular feature in our lives. Anxiety disorder is a mental health condition that can vary in its severity. It can cause unpleasant physical symptoms and affects the way we think, feel and behave. There are many different types of anxiety all of which can be controlled if the correct measures are taken.
Types of Anxiety
- Generalised anxiety
- Panic attacks
- Social anxiety
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Post- traumatic stress
At Crest Counselling the therapist enables you to begin to identify certain factors that are causing your anxiety. This is done in a safe environment, using clinically researched methods and always at a pace that you feel comfortable with. The following is an indication of what you and the therapist will explore during this process
- Traumatic life events
- Present stressors e.g. Loss or bereavement, Depression, Relationship difficulties, Exams etc.
- Events/situations that trigger anxiety e.g. Going to the grocery store, meeting people , going to work etc.
- Thinking styles/negative thoughts e.g. ‘I must pass this exam, in order to be a success.’
‘If I don’t people will see me as a failure, and that would be the worst thing in the world’
- Behaviours e.g. Avoiding anxiety provoking situations altogether, Becoming withdrawn, Feelings of worthlessness, Anger, Frustration, Self- medicating etc.
Using techniques such as CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) you will:
- Recognise unhealthy thought patterns
- Learn how to change your unhealthy thought patterns
- Develop coping strategies
- Overcome your anxiety
- Experience positive behaviours
- Experience positive emotions