Your First session
Once you feel comfortable and ready to begin, the following occurs
- Together we go through the counselling contract –This is a mutual agreement negotiated between the counsellor and the client prior to the commencement of counselling. It articulates the responsibilities of the counsellor towards the client, and also the client’s responsibilities in the counselling relationship.
- Assessment through clinical interview is completed to identify and clarify the presenting problem.
- Secondary problems are discussed.
- Severity of the anxiety is measured
- Anxiety reduction techniques are shown.
- Education on anxiety is given.
The goal after the first session is for you to begin to feel in more control of your anxiety.